Friday, November 02, 2007
October Net Worth


I'm dealing with some family health issues right now, so I won't be blogging much (not that I'm that prolific in the first place), but here's my hurrah for the month. Despite some challenges, I'm still making solid improvements in my net worth.

Personal Items

This is the month in which I arbitrarily reduce the value of my computer. Since I've had it so long, I'm now dropping the value in $25 increments, rather than $50. Based on Craigslist prices for various electronic items, I think my valuation is reasonable.

Cash and Cash Equivalent

I had some extra expenses associated with the family health care situation (onsite parking, extra equipment) that I didn't expect. So I spent more than I wanted to out of my checking.

My savings, however, continued to increase.

Investments

At least in October, nobody took away the punch bowl. I'm not sure that I will be able to say the same next month.

Loan Balances

It's nice watching the portion of my payments going to interest decline.

Other Debt

If it had not been for an unfortunate car tow, this would actually have been a decrease from last month. I'm getting that expense reimbursed, but the check hasn't been deposited yet.

Even so, I did have to spend some money on gifts and other things. I'm unfortunately in that cycling mode where I pay my monthly bill in full, but then have to charge semi-extensively again to keep my cash flow steady. I'm expecting a raise at the beginning of December to help draw my balances down to zero, but it's going to be a lingering issue until then.

The Month Ahead

I may have some continued expenses due to the family situation, but that will largely be for things like gas to drive for visits, rather than parking and supplies. I am staying in town for Thanksgiving, which will help keep those costs down. And since the weather finally broke, my utility bills will be much smaller.

I'm hoping this will help me charge less and avoid dipping into my overdraft account, since it's finally on its way back up to my target.

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the openness on posting about your finances. I really enjoy reading these types of posts.

In terms of gas for visits to family - I have that same situation from time-to-time. Not much that can be done about that, except to make people visit you!

The Dividend Guy

Blogger HC said...

DG--

Thanks. Given the situation, I'm going to be doing all the driving, but it's not a major hardship.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about your family health issues. I hope insurance is able to take care of all that's needed. Sometimes struggles leads a family to become closer. I wish you all the best.

Jerry
www.leads4insurance.com

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer